€274.50 – €420.90
The Lizard backpack is back once again!
The backpack comes in two versions and two fabrics. The backpack comes complete with external bunjee cords and sternum strap.
A Close-up of the famous Lizard Label with ULTRA™ Fabric.
Mutated Lizard Backpack in ULTRA™ fabric
The two versions of the backpack differ in the shoulder straps:
– The Original version has traditional ‘S’-shaped shoulder straps, with a daisy chain running the length of them that allows additional accessories and bags to be attached.
– The Mutated version has four adjustable pockets that can accommodate water reserves and all the items you need to keep close at hand while on the trail. The pockets are compatible with most commercially available 0.5-litre flasks. We have used them with both Salomon speed 42 and wider versions, including those from other manufacturers, as well as 0.5-litre plastic bottles. The water bottles can be fixed in place with a bunjee rope and a lanyard.Having as many things as possible at hand makes breaks less frequent and consequently increases the speed at which a trail travels. In addition, having the bottles at hand (and eyeballs) allows constant control of the available reserve, makes the speed of refilling fast without the need to take off the pack, and makes it convenient to use salts or carbohydrates.
The straps also have an ergonomic shape that guarantees exellent stability of the backpack on your shoulders.
The Mutated version shoulder straps.
Lorenzo shows how different bottle fit in the straps.
Over the past four years we have tried numerous solutions that have led to this backpack. We realized that even though we were looking for the lightest materials, the material that weighed the most and was most easily worn down was always the front mesh, essential for drying clothes, tarps, bivysacks or tents and having quick access to other gear.
So we decided to make the backpack in a single fabric and laser-cut the backpack entirely out of one fabric for both the mesh and the body.
Mutated Lizard Backpack in ECOPAK™ fabric
The backpack has a capacity of (generous) 35 liters plus external pockets. The two side pockets contain up to two Smart Water bottles, 850ml each, these are also provided with some drain holes for any liquids inside thus allowing the backpack to weigh no more than it already weighs!
A close-up from the ECOPAK™ fabric version.
The backpack is perfect for day-hikes and long distance hikes, featuring also the load-lifter to bring the upper part of the backpack a bit closer to your back which together with its size make it very stable even without sternum strap and hip-belt.
We recommend you don’t try to carry more than 9kg in this pack. If you are thinking that your loads would go above this, do yourself a favor and get a padded backpack with rigid support.
Another close-up from the ECOPAK™ fabric version showing the capacity of the two side pockets.
This backpack comes in two materials, let us analyse them in detail.
ULTRA™ is the finest material we have ever used, it is essentially non-branded UHMWPE (Dyneema) woven to increase its abrasion and strength characteristics. It is the best fabric in the world for ultralight backpacks currently on the market.
The manufacturer describes it as follows:
“In a class of its own, ULTRA™ represents a new paradigm in durability and weight. ULTRA™ weave is constructed with an optimal blend of UHMWPE & high-tenacity polyester. The tight weave is laminated with an eco-friendly adhesive to our revolutionary Challenge RUV™ film. The result is a textile that is incredibly strong, lightweight, and waterproof to 200 psi. ULTRA™ performs in the harshest environments, in both sub-zero and tropical climates.”
ECOPAK™ is the world’s only durable and waterproof fabric made from 100% recycled polyester fiber and film. Each yard upcycles about 20 plastic water bottles into durable technical textiles.
– All components of the ECOPAK™ laminates are made from 100% recycled polyester. This means that metre for metre, over 20 plastic bottles are recycled and more than 450g of carbon dioxide is saved.
– The outer fabric is made from REPREVE® yarns collected in the ocean, all other components are made from used PET bottles
– Only FC-free C0 impregnations are used.
– No VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) are used in the production of ECOPAK™, all adhesives are solvent-free
– Thanks to an innovative production process, energy-intensive drying processes during lamination are reduced
– ECOPAK™ lies very flat when cut and has a very uniform CrossPly fibre from edge to edge – this prevents waste when cutting to size
– The polyester outer fabric used is similarly abrasion resistant to fabric made of nylon and is therefore very durable
– Because ECOPAK™ is made from 100% polyester, it is recyclable
The backpack is stitched with AMANN Serafil thread with WR treatment that reduces the thread’s ability to soak and carry water inside.
However, we recommend treating the seams with a product such as SEAM SURE by McNett® for the best waterproofing.
The main measurement is the one of your torso*, to be precise, from your C7 Vertebra to the most protruding part of your hip.
In order to accurately determine this key spec, you’ll need a friend and a flexible tape measure.
1. Tilt your head forward and feel for the bony bump where the slope of your shoulders meets your neck. This is your 7th cervical (or C7) vertebra—and the top of your torso length.
2. On each side of your body, slide your hands down the ribcage to the top of your hip bones (aka the iliac crest). With index fingers pointing forward and thumbs pointing backward, draw an imaginary line between your thumbs. This spot on your lumbar is the bottom of your torso measurement.
3. Stand up straight and have your friend measure the distance between the C7 and the imaginary line between your thumbs. That’s your torso length
Here a video from Rei to better understand how to measure it
The pack comes in two sizes:
The backpack weighs:
– Around 400gr/14oz in the ECOPAK™ Original Version
– Around 525gr/18.5oz in the ECOPAK™ Mutated Version
– Around 380gr/13.4oz in the ULTRA™ Mutated Version
THE BACKPACK IS FULLY HANDMADE IN ITALY
If you have any question text us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Original ECOPAK™, Mutated ECOPAK™, Mutated ULTRA™